Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Beautiful Fall Morning....

How can we not be happy on a day as beautiful as today ?
The air is crisp, the sky-clear, the sun is shining (in Ohio), and the leaves have started their annual change from green to the most magnificant array of colors that you will ever find.
I have had worries over the last week regarding the well-being of my grandmother-my best friend. She is soon to be 92 years old. Still lives alone about a mile down the road. She lives in a retirement apartment that is nice and safe- perfect for an independant grandma like mine. We talk on the phone, I visit the apartment- so do my children, I buy her groceries and take care of her bills, Drs. and medications. But when I saw her yesterday (we spend Mondays together- usually looking at mail order catalogues), it seemed like I wasn't doing enough. Somehow I should be doing more- but I'm not sure what that would be.
We've thought about moving her into our home- but even visits on weekends here are too much after a couple of hours- we have a VERY active household-(parrotts,dogs,cats & kids). This isn't the answer.
I enjoy our time together- but she never wants me to leave- she still remembers me as the young Kate- no husband, no children, no responsibilities.
As I prepared to leave grandmas house I felt sad that my best friend is growing older and nearing the twilight hours of life- I will miss her so much, I want to spend all of the time that I can with her and yet my other obligations are so many. We walked down the hall to the front entrance and stood and looked out at the beatiful fall evening- the sky, the trees- I told her I loved her and said goodbye.

2 comments:

am ham said...

I'm trying something new but it doesn't seem to be working. Well I started my own blog and I was going to add yours to mine but you don't seem to have that option on your account. aww pooey

Anonymous said...

k
i understand and feel you pain, sorrow etc. my friend. my lil gram lived in toledo i remember the long talks we use to have no matter what i chose to do in my life or how i wore my hair{color} my grandmother never put me down always would support me she might not of agreed but she was the only one that ever said that she was proud of me i miss her soooooooo. She watched the same soaps that i did, of course we disagreed about Brooke and Ridge. I would love when her and i did dishes that is when we really would talk about things i never got tired of her repeating my child hood stories about me and my cousins. Things that we would say or do like when we lived in S.C. and lil gram was going to bake a cake from scratch of course she didn't have any baking powder she said to me and my cousins you better pray that this cake turns out she said there 3 little girls praying one saying God is good God is great another was saying Now I lay me down to sleep and the other was saying Hail Mary full of grace. My lil gram said that was the tallest prettiest cake you ever laid your eyes on. One other time lil gram spoke of was three little girls skipping down to the beach one saying i see a butterfly, another saying i see a bird and the third {youngest} saying i peed my pants....memories aren't they a beautiful thing. Grandmothers Gods special people no one can hug like a gramma, cook like gramma, love like a GRAMMA
i miss ya lil Gram....

About Me

happily married 20 yrs., 5 children, dogs(5), cats(6), parrotts(2).